Saturday, November 5, 2011

Victor Hugo - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Part 5 - Finale

A couple of days ago I finished Victor Hugo's "Hunchback of Notre Dame". I have to admit that the ending of this epic story was different then I expected.

There are many themes in this book. One of the most prominent in my opinion is the theme of deception. I say this because every character and situation cannot be taken at their face values. The person who is physically really ugly, has the most beautiful personality. You are right, I am talking about Quasimodo. This is shown when he rescues Esmeralda from her death and takes care of her. He is madly in love with her, however he remains honorable and devoted to the very end even though she does not accept him. When he discovers that she has been hanged at the end of the story he chooses to die with her. This part reminds me of both "Romeo and Juliet" and "Beauty and the Beast". The Juliet of this story is also loyal to the person whom she loves. This person however is the young and handsome captain Thebus and not our Romeo Qasimodo. Interestingly, although from a first glance captain Thebus has everything, he is a shallow person and not worth the affections of Esmeralda. In her devotion to him, Esmeralda in turn cannot get past this fact and move on with her life. She is not able to accept the true love of Qasimodo. As a result the "Romeo" and "Juliet" of our story similarly spend the eternity of death together.

The person who is supposed to be virtuous, is demon personified. I am talking about the archdeacon. From the moment that he has seen Esmeralda he became infatuated with her. He claimed that he loved her. Maybe at some point he did. His actions however, to first set her up and then twice send her to death point to a different conclusion. He resembles more a mad scientist then a person who follows God.

I really enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it. It has something for everyone: romance, suspense, history, philosophy, and even elements of horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment