Yesterday I finished my introduction to Bryce Courtenay Books by reaching the conclusion of the Persimmon Tree. I have to say that the time that I was listening to this book I was in constant suspense, one night not going to sleep until 5am. Yes, it is this good! It is a great story of "Gone With The Wind" proportions (another great book that is on my to read list).
It is set during World War II in the Pacific and is packed with historic material. I have to admit that my historic knowledge of this area is not the strongest and I learned a great deal. My heart ached for the two main characters of the book while they had to endure separation due to the circumstances that were beyond their control. I was really happy for them in the end. (This is not a secret, hence don't tell me that this spoils the book for you). I liked that the story was realistic, and not just a simplification that bad stuff happened and the end. Although, I have to admit that one place where Mr. Courtenay described various torture methods used in the Japanese concentration camps were too much for me. I gave this book 5 stars on goodreads, and for sure will read or listen to more books by Mr. Courtenay.
It is set during World War II in the Pacific and is packed with historic material. I have to admit that my historic knowledge of this area is not the strongest and I learned a great deal. My heart ached for the two main characters of the book while they had to endure separation due to the circumstances that were beyond their control. I was really happy for them in the end. (This is not a secret, hence don't tell me that this spoils the book for you). I liked that the story was realistic, and not just a simplification that bad stuff happened and the end. Although, I have to admit that one place where Mr. Courtenay described various torture methods used in the Japanese concentration camps were too much for me. I gave this book 5 stars on goodreads, and for sure will read or listen to more books by Mr. Courtenay.
No comments:
Post a Comment