Using my new kindle as a tool I am trying something new, focusing on one author at a time and reading the complete collection of works by that author. At the time that I bought my kindle I was listening to "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens and I decided to focus my magnifying glass on him. It addition to reading all his works I want to learn more about his life. Final step of the exercise is looking up and learning new vocabulary that meet on the way.
You may ask me what I hope to achieve by this exercise? There are several objectives in mind. First of all, I often found it helpful learning about the lives of famous people. Knowing what they went through behind the scenes while they were working on their product be it a novel or a proof to a theorem helps put everything in perspective. Secondly, I hope to beyond traditional story summary and examine the writing style of each author and possibly compare them. Equipped with more knowledge about authors I have more tools in hand to accomplish this. Finally, everyone can benefit from learning a new word from time to time. As my creative juices are turning, who knows where this will lead me.
You may ask me what I hope to achieve by this exercise? There are several objectives in mind. First of all, I often found it helpful learning about the lives of famous people. Knowing what they went through behind the scenes while they were working on their product be it a novel or a proof to a theorem helps put everything in perspective. Secondly, I hope to beyond traditional story summary and examine the writing style of each author and possibly compare them. Equipped with more knowledge about authors I have more tools in hand to accomplish this. Finally, everyone can benefit from learning a new word from time to time. As my creative juices are turning, who knows where this will lead me.
No comments:
Post a Comment